Leading Career Conversations
Invest in the future of your team by creating the space to explore their aspirations within your firm
The Capability Gap
People managers often find it challenging to engage in future-oriented, positive, and constructive career conversations with their team members. The temptation for managers is to focus on hierarchical “career progression” (i.e. promotions and new roles) which places emphasis on technical skills and means unrealistic promises are made that can’t always be kept.
This can lead to missed opportunities to engage, motivate and retain key talent within the team and organisation. In an increasingly competitive market, the expectation is high for progressive career management, and fast. People managers must proactively create space where team members can first focus on personal growth and development within their current role and beyond.
- Understand the role of a manager within career conversations
- Develop active listening skills to understand others’ aspirations and goals within their role and beyond
- Learn effective questioning techniques to help others reflect on their career paths and identify areas for growth
- Support others to identify their own unique motivations and strengths
- Deliver constructive feedback with care
Delivery tailored to participant level
90 mins – 3.5 hours
In person or virtual